Social Media is a propitious tool for myriad reasons. In our busy lives, it helps us stay connected with our family and friends. Social Media Addiction is the thing which facing now.
Owing to the pandemic situation, social media has become an essential expedient for everything from being a teaching tool, to a great avenue for selling products and services.
Nevertheless, we have to concede that social media has occupied a larger-than-needed space in our lives, frittering away our time and energy into mindless scrolling.
We are so habituated to flipping through post after post, that it has become more of a proclivity than a pass-time. However, when anything goes overboard, it becomes an addiction.
Why do we become addicted to social media?
- It is a happy distraction, an escape from the humdrum of life.
- Seeking social validation has become indispensable in this era where people are self-obsessed. And have a sense of inflated ego, so they are keen on proving their grandiosity and superiority.
- Sometimes, we keep scrolling in a fear of not being updated enough. This kind of addiction is seen more in the older generation.
- Studies show that the time spent on social media activates dopamine in our brain. That makes us incessantly hooked on the phone.
Why is social media addiction bad?
- It impels us to live in a virtual world, transporting us to a cybernetic complacency.
- It pressurizes us to portray our best possible self, deceiving ourselves from our grim reality.
- The ballooned-up self-worth can be punctured by minuscule negative comments making this generation weak-willed and suicidal.
- Our attention span has staggeringly receded over the last few years.
What can we do to get over the addiction?
- In this case, it is better to abstain from using mobile the first thing in the morning and instead indulge in self-care activities.
- Turning off notifications and deleting apps that are not important can refrain us from checking the phone now and then.
- Exert yourself to have a social media holiday or digital detox and spend quality time with family and friends.
- For example, set up a reward system to keep yourself away from the phone. For a said time and treat yourself to an hour of watching web series of your choice.
- Set aside fixed time every day for social media activities and try strictly adhering to it.
- Involving in long-forgotten hobbies can help us get away with phone addiction.
- Furthermore refraining from using the phone at least an hour before sleep can improve sleep quality.
The Equilibrium believes that every individual needs to have a healthy mind, emotional well-being and an active lifestyle to enhance their life experiences.
Their mission is to build awareness amongst people about how it’s extremely important to talk. Get help for issues related to emotional and mental well-being. The Equilibrium helps individuals overcome barriers that turn out to be obstruction towards their growth as a person.
Also Read – TAT (Tapas Acupressure Technique)